Machinima Report

Friday, June 8, 2007

Flying blind

I log onto Second Life to learn that Ben has finished the Camp X-Ray cage – and I am trapped inside! Ben had no way of knowing that I had logged off while still standing inside the cage. The software just put me back where I had last been, except now I am looked in and I don’t know how to get out.

Ben, our builder, had been up late working on the project and is nowhere to be found. When at last he shows up, we have the inevitable discussion about how real and unreal the whole thing is. How “I” felt imprisoned. How such feelings were nonsense especially given the truth of the prison. But it was effective – and maybe it can work as a teaching tool and help raise awareness about it what means to lose habeas corpus rights.

Ben puts in a “script” to allow users to open the door. We begin our discussion about how to incorporate mixed media into the site – what sort of material I could shoot, audio I could record to enhance what we want to do. I feel like I’m flying blind – this part is new to everyone, even our master scripter/builder.

No comments: